Instrument-Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization (IASTM) is a therapeutic technique that uses specific applied instruments on Athletes and Adults to promote mobilization of restricted tissue.
Instruments effectively break down fascial restrictions and scar tissue. The ergonomic design of these instruments provides the clinician with the ability to locate restrictions and allows the clinician to treat the affected area with the appropriate amount of pressure.
The introduction of controlled microtrauma to affected soft tissue structure causes the stimulation of a local inflammatory response. Microtrauma initiates reabsorption of inappropriate fibrosis or excessive scar tissue and facilitates a cascade of healing activities resulting in remodeling of affected soft tissue structures. Adhesions within the soft tissue which may have developed as a result of surgery, immobilization, repeated strain or other mechanisms, are broken down allowing full functional restoration to occur.
Benefits of IASTM:
- Improved Nerve conduction
- Improved propioception
- Improves fluid circulation
- Tissue healing and repair
- Improving muscle tone
- Increase in ROM
- Improves function and balance
Conditions where IASTM can be used:
- Cerebral Palsy kids with spasticity and muscle contractures.
- Autistic kids with tactile dysfunction
- Club Foot
- Sports injuries in causing knee injury, Medial Epicondylitis, Lateral Epicondylitis, Plantar Fascitis, Rotator Cuff Tendinitis, Patellar Tendinitis
- Toe walking (due to calf muscle tightness)
- Myofascial Pain and Restrictions
- Musculoskeletal Imbalances
- Chronic Joint Swelling Associated with Sprains/Strains
- Back pain, including deconditioning.
- Posture issues and scoliosis
In Bangalore , Karnataka our Sports Physiotherapists are very well Internationally Certified to provide world class treatment with IASTM.